Monday 31 December 2018

My 2018 Spotify List


At the last day of 2018, I’m proud to share with you my list of favorite albums and songs of 2018. Click link here to listen.

What a year it was, 2018, for music. I found it very exciting. Traditionally I make a list with the first 5 songs representing my favorite albums, and the rest are just songs I like. But this year, the first 16 songs all represent albums I really liked in 2018. So much albums that proved to be worth being in this list – that’s something that didn’t happen since 2012.

2018 might not have given us the albums that mark history, no albums that redefine the foundations of how music is made. But it was very broad and very high quality overall. As a result, I've created the longest year-end list since I started doing this in 2010.

 (click on image to enlarge)



U.S. Girls goes first, helped by the best song of the year Rosebud. Credit to them. Serpentwithfeet is bizarre and brilliant, our Paris neighbor Marianne Faithfull made a timeless album, The Blaze provided the perfect summer soundtrack and last-minute entry 6LACK (cheers, Dalons) will be a rap album I’ll still listen to long into 2019.

 (click on image to enlarge)



It surprises me how more and more of this list starts becoming Rap and R&B oriented and/or influenced. I used to be very rock, but here I only have Die Nerven in my list (first German album I include, I think).  

2018 gave me also a lot of Belgians worth including in the list (4), and some bands like SX didn’t even make my cut. The Belgian bands also provided the first French and (I think) Flemish songs I included in my list.

Listen on in 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment